Work online it is a great way to finance your travels. This kind of work has gained more and more popularity over the course of the last few years. You can make a decent living just by working on your computer. While it isn’t a must, working online supports location independent lifestyle, allows you to travel better, longer and more frequently, and it usually leaves you with enough free time to discover the world around you or to do the things you like the most. In this article we reveal the best ways of working online, share sources and tips about how to get started.
Types of online works you can try right now
I think, there is a common misconception about working online, because many people still think that only coders, developers web designers and other very tech savvy people can make a living out of working remotely. Wrong! There are several other niches and fields where you can succeed without deep IT knowledge or specific degrees and studies. There are various categories of online jobs you can start today, so it very likely that you will find something which fits you and your needs. Working online can be a lot of fun as well and if you are smart you can make a living out of something you like or something you are already good at.
Start your own online business
1. Create art and sell it online
If you are talented in any crafts or design, make some money by selling your art online. Doesn’t matter if it is a physical thing or digital art, there is always market for selling unique/handmade products. Depending on what you are selling there are different platforms to market your products.
- Set up a Facebook page and start advertising your products there. You can add a shop to your Facebook page or even sell your goods on the Facebook Marketplace.
- Etsy is the most famous platform for showcasing handmade items but not exclusively. You can also sell digitally made products and as well.
- At Sellfy you can sell digital products like video or photo presets, e-books or copywriting templates, animations, jingles, beats, or even knitting patterns.
- Instagram is another good place to promote your creations. With the new shopping feature on Instagram, you can let your fans buy your goods directly from Instagram.
- Print on Demand services like Printful or Printify are great if you want to sell T-shirts, posters, mugs, hats, or even bags with your own design. You take caare of the creation and the marketing and these services do the rest from printing and packing the goods to shipping them to the customers.
2. Start a YouTube channel
Do you like watching videos on YouTube? Do you take a lot of pictures and videos with your phone? Then, starting a YouTube channel might be a good idea for you. You can make videos about everything, however if you want to make money with your videos you need to find the right niche. Make videos about things you like or do or share your expertise on a specific topic. Authenticity and quality content are key to the success. If you get a lot of views, advertising can be a good source of income. Or you can combine it with Affiliate marketing. It means you place an affiliate link in the video description and get a percentage of the sale.
This can be a fun, often challenging but rewarding way to earn money. It can be very well fit in a nomadic lifestyle as well.
3. Become Affiliate Marketer
Affiliate marketing is the process of helping another website to sell their products or services via special affiliate links. This can be very much combined with everything. You can promote affiliate links on your blog, YouTube channel, social media, Facebook groups or forums etc. When you sign up for a company’s affiliate platform, you’ll receive unique links, that will earn you a commission every time a user clicks on them (or buys something after clicking). Shareasale, CJ Affiliate, and Amazon Associates are popular affiliate networks where you can sign up to thousands of affiliate programs in all niches.
4. Become a blogger
If you prefer words over video you can start writing a blog. It doesn’t need to be about traveling, it can be about anything you love or you are passionate about. You can earn money with affiliate marketing, which is a widespread source of income for bloggers. But you can earn money as a writer using other ways too. You can place ads on your blog, write reviews, do content marketing or you can either for other blogs and media outlets for money.
Technically, freelancing is any form of work you do.If you work online, freelancing you work remotely – meaning from anywhere. And, unlike work-to-stay jobs, you get paid in full when freelancing. Talking about freelancing opportunities, your options are near limitless. As a matter of fact, many travel magazines are willing to pay you big bucks for your travel stories or even to send you to trips (paid entirely by them) and let you cover your adventures. All it would take you is a little bit of research to find such opportunities.
One easy way to find freelance work is by searching for them on online job marketplaces like Fiverr, Upwork, and Freelancer. However, possessing some skills is a prerequisite to your success on these websites. Popular types of positions you can find on these platforms: Web Developer, Virtual Assistant, Customer Service Agent, Sales and Marketing Manager, Translator, Designer, Illustrator, Accountant, Lawyer, Writer etc.
Sell your photos
If you have a decent camera or good smartphone and affinity to take great pictures you can make money with just Selling your photos on stock websites. ShutterStock, iStock, and BigStock are the most famous photo databases. The quantity paid for each download is generally low, so you should bet on quantity and upload new batches of photos regularly. The key to getting noticed on stock websites is adding many relevant keywords that people would search for. Or alternatively you can offer your photography and photo editing skills on freelancer platforms or open an online shop selling your own printed photography.
In order to create a better user experience, many companies search for people to test and review their website before launching it. Usually, tests take between 5-25 minutes to complete, and the pay is an average of $10 per test. This is a cool way to make some extra bucks when you are on the go. Here’s a list of platforms that unite website owners and testers and where you can subscribe to such jobs.
The best thing is that you can combine the aboves to earn a decent wage which can support a location independent lifestyle as well.
The PROs and CONs of working online
Work online has its advantages and disadvantages which you need to consider before starting it off. Let’s see what are these.
- Freedom and flexibility. Working online, remotely allows you to get the job done pretty much from everywhere. Usually, you can also choose the time when you work or decide how many hours you want to work.
- Save on costs. If you work from home (from anywhere but an office) means, you don’t have to commute, you can save a lot if you cook and eat at home, or even on clothing.
- No office distractions. With less people and useless meetings you can fully focus on getting the job done faster and better.
- Free time. The well deserved extra time that you can spend with whatever you want. For example, you can travel longer and eventually enjoy to be in a new place and the opportunity to fully discover it.
- Life long learning. You will learn a lot of new and exciting things. You will constantly improve and gain all the necessary skills to complete your tasks. Don’t worry, this is a lot of fun. You can choose the best way for you to learn (read books, blogs, watch video tutorials etc.), instead of studying boring learning materials and procedures handed out by your company.
- No investment needed. Most of these jobs don’t require a serious initial investment and can be started basically at any time.
- Willpower. This can take a toll on your productivity. One can easily start procrastinating on their tasks due to other factors. But it is very important to keep in mind that you only get paid if the job is done or you only make money if your things are sold. Working from home is a real work, so people expect you to perform quality work in a timely manner.
- Difficulty sticking to a routine. This is especially true when you are travelling and working at the same time. It can be tough, however it’s crucial, to mirror your schedule and processes when you work online.
- Financially rough start. Building a successful online (freelancing) business can take some time. In the beginning you’ll have zero clients or customers. You have to be patient and work hard to see the first results. It can take up to a year that your business really takes off and you earn enough money that you can sustain your lifestyle.
- Internet dependency. To be able to do your work you’ll need fast and reliable internet. In more remote parts of the world, this can be challenging or even expensive.
- Pay Taxes & health insurance. Working as a freelancer while traveling the world doesn’t mean you can avoid paying taxes. And since you don’t have an employer (not in the traditional way) you are going to have to pay taxes and cover health insurance yourself. The terms can vary in each country, so it is advisable to talk to a tax advisor before start a career online.
Online work is a really great opportunity to earn money and travel at the same time. If you ever wanted to try, do not hesitate. And due to its flexibility you can start working online slowly. It means, if you want you can keep your regular 9 to 5 job and start freelancing only part-time (a few hours a week, or work only on weekends). And switch to be a full time freelancer or online business owner, once you feel ready or have a bit of savings. We have been working online for years, and this was definitely one of the best decisions we have ever made, so we can only encourage you to give it a try and enjoy all the benefits this lifestyle comes with. If you already work online, share your story with us in the comments!
Disclosure: Some of the links above are affiliate links, meaning, at no additional cost to you, we will earn a commission if you click through and make a purchase.